I mentioned in Mr Mitchell’s class that I will not be in for Wednesday’s lesson. In my absence:
This is the link to the UVHS Google Drive site which includes a Powerpoint on Energy Geopolitics and an Economist article on the link between Europe and Russia’s energy security.
I will go through the PPT in detail on Friday. But have a look through it and familiarize yourself with the details and maps. Some of the graphs/maps could be updated with more recent data. Can you find anything more recent?
Then read through the Economist article and answer the following questions. Bring these with you on Friday!
1. How is Europe vulnerable to any change to Russia’s supply of gas to the Ukraine?
2. Download the map above. Describe which countries are linked to Russia through existing pipelines. Using information from page 2, outline how many countries in Eastern Europe are dependent on this complicated gas connectivity.
3. What alternative countries or regions could Europe import gas from to by-pass Russia? (pages 3-4)
4. Could shale gas be exported from the USA to bolster Europe’s energy supply? (page 5)
5. In what ways could Europe and the USA use gas as ‘leverage’ against Russian aggression and use the natural resource as a geopolitical weapon against the country? (pages 6-7)