Literary Anniversaries: 10 November

cuckoos-nest

The cast of the film of the book – missing Jack Nicholson as McMurphy.

“He Who Marches Out Of Step Hears Another Drum”

Back in September we celebrated the birth of Ken Kesey, author of ‘One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest‘.  Today, we commemorate his death in 2001.

But we also have an important birth to celebrate today …

Today in 1960, Neil Gaiman was born.

"What do you mean I look more like Sean Bean than Ray Winstone?" One of Mr. Guerrero's guilty pleasures - and co-written by Neil Gaiman

“What do you mean I look more like Sean Bean than Ray Winstone?” One of Mr. Guerrero’s guilty pleasures – and co-written by Neil Gaiman

Gaiman is a bit of a phenomenon, writing everything from dark fantasy to script-writing episodes of Doctor Who.  One thing I do know is that my friends who like him like him A LOT.

My favourite experience of Gaiman is his novel, Neverwhere.  I love his ‘Everyman’ protagonist, floundering in a fantasy world he is completely unprepared for, and the moving choice he has to make at the end of the novel.  If I was Richard Mayhew, I would do the same.  You’ll have to read the book to understand what I mean.  I was also pleasantly surprised to see he has a writing credit on the 2007 film of Beowulf, starring Ray Winstone – it’s a bit of a guilty pleasure, that one.

Next on the list is American Gods, which the Gaiman fans are almost aggressively keen on …

About

English Teacher; Shakespeare Geek; Science Fiction Nerd; Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL); Scrabble Warrior; Television Refusenik. Above all, READER ...

Tagged with: , , , ,