Literary Anniversaries: 07 October

(image by deviantart user shuranegro)

(image by deviantart user shuranegro)

I can think of at least two films that honour today’s author by calling him Mister Edgar Allan Poe, who died today in 1849 at the age of only 40.  If you want to know which they are, I reveal the answers at the end of this article.

But, unusually, rather than write about this master of the macabre, I’m going to link to two videos …

In this one, the classic poem (and favourite of Mr. Stubbert’s), THE RAVEN, gets The Simpsons treatment (narrated by the man who did the voice for Darth Vader!)  I love the classic combination of ‘Take thy beak from out my heart’ and ‘Why, you little …’

In the second, you’ll see an animated version of what I think is the best short story EVER written:  THE TELL-TALE HEART.

Poe is, simply, a must-read for anyone interested in The Gothic.

— — —

ANSWERS to the film teaser earlier on.  The two films I can think of are:

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) – incidentally a Y12 text.  Blanche, played by Vivien Leigh calls him this

The Ladykillers (2004)  In the modern remake of the Ealing Comedy classic, Tom Hanks uses the phrase

About

English Teacher; Shakespeare Geek; Science Fiction Nerd; Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL); Scrabble Warrior; Television Refusenik. Above all, READER ...

Tagged with: , , , , , ,