Open Evening update: The Great UVHS Shakespeare Quiz
During Open Evening last week many of you completed our Great UVHS Shakespeare Quiz, and it’s time to give you the answers – and to announce the winner.
We asked (and if you want to test yourself the answers are below the ‘read more’ line):
- True or False? Shakespeare died on his birthday!
- Complete the famous quotation: ‘Romeo, Romeo, _______ art thou, Romeo?’
- When he died, what did Shakespeare leave his wife in his will?
- How many witches appear to Macbeth, and tell him he will one day be king?
- Which Disney film is based on Shakespeare’s play, Hamlet?
- Shakespeare’s grave is cursed. What did scientists recently find was missing, when they x-rayed it?
- One of these words was invented by Shakespeare, but which? BUZZER, KNOCKER, LETTERBOX
- Another True/False question: when Shakespeare built his Globe Theatre in London, most of his materials were stolen from another theatre.
- Famous quotations part 2: ‘Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ____’
- Tie-Breaker (closest answer wins): how many different words do we think Shakespeare knew (i.e. his vocabulary)?
- TRUE (as far as we can tell)
- Wherefore (which actually means ‘WHY‘, not ‘where)
- His second best bed.
- The Lion King! Think of wicked Uncle Scar, and the ghost of Mufasa
- His skull
- Buzzer (not that he was talking about an electric one, of course)
- 20,000: about the same as an average Y9 pupil (NOT just 350 words, as someone suggested)
How did you get on? Let us know in the comments section below …
Our winner on the night was Olivia! You can expect to hear from us soon with a prize sent to your school.