Some readers are on the pitch! They think it’s all over …

cover fever pitchLet’s rewind exactly 50 years, yes before even I was born …

Chris Farlowe’s ‘Out of Time’ (written by Mick Jagger) was number 1 in the ‘Hit Parade’.  Watch the video via the link and hear a real tune, compared to the rubbish you young ones call music nowadays …

A pint of session beer cost just ‘1s 10d’ – the equivalent of under 10p today.  The average wage was about £20 per week.  A certain Mrs. Cameron was 6 months pregnant, with no idea that her son, David, would be a future Prime Minister.  Rick Astley was about 4 months old, and no doubt gurgling a few tunes in preparation for his music career in the 80s.

Oh yes, and England beat West Germany 4-2 in the World Cup final, in front of 97,000 people at Wembley.  Nearly forgot that …

So, to celebrate the beginning of ’50 years of hurt’, I wanted to share my favourite sports-related book, ever.  Fever Pitch, by Nick Hornby.

The best recommendation I can give you is that I, as a proud Manchester United fan, adore this book, written by an Arsenal fan.  At the peak of my formative years, Arsenal WERE the opposition, with players like Roy Keane (our’s) and Patrick Viera (their’s) battling it out more like gladiators than footballers.

On to the book.  It’s a touching and insightful autobiographical account of what it really means to be a football fan.  I love Hornby’s laid-back and humorous style in general, and this – his first book – is no exception.  He puts you in mind of a friend or older brother telling you a story.  It’s witty, and at the same time honest and occasionally quite moving.

Read it.

Then move on to High Fidelity, and About A Boy – they are wonderful novels, too …

Are there any sports-based novels I’m missing out on.  Or, which autobiographies by sports stars should I have read by now?  Please get in touch and let me know.

About

English Teacher; Shakespeare Geek; Science Fiction Nerd; Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL); Scrabble Warrior; Television Refusenik. Above all, READER ...

Tagged with: , , ,
3 comments on “Some readers are on the pitch! They think it’s all over …
  1. Alex says:

What!?! England actually won the football? Must be a miracle.