The Hobbit: live in Lancaster

Hobbit-Web-Event-Pageclick here for the The Hobbit @ Williamson Park: video trailer …

Let’s get my personal ‘Hobbit‘ credentials out there from the word go …

The book, for me, is one of the most wonderful children’s books ever.  A perfect prequel to the majestic Lord Of The Rings.  An instructive and moving fantasy story about growing up, and about how the quiet person can become the hero – to borrow from LOTR, ‘all that glitters is not gold’ …

And, don’t get me started on LOTR.  I once – at another school – challenged some pupils to read me a randomly selected paragraph from the trilogy, and I would supply the next, if not word for word then to their satisfaction.  Suffice to say that I won the challenge and they were all absolutely gobsmacked.

So I consider myself someone who knows what Tolkien is and should be.  The film(s).  Ah, another matter.  Actually, I love the original trilogy, sensing that they were made by and for Tolkien fans.  But The Hobbit could and should never have been stretched out into three films.  I took my sons to the first one, and we left the cinema vowing never to watch the following two instalments.

Anyway, this is becoming more of a rant than a ‘heads-up’ that The Hobbit, in a suitably-lengthed three-hour version, will be showing at Williamson Park in Lancaster for the next few weeks.  I will definitely be going, after reading this review in the Guardian.

About

English Teacher; Shakespeare Geek; Science Fiction Nerd; Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL); Scrabble Warrior; Television Refusenik. Above all, READER ...

Tagged with: ,
5 comments on “The Hobbit: live in Lancaster
  1. Eleanor says:

I really want to go and see this!

2. Eleanor says:

I have just seen the film, and I agree, it is a bad adaptation. Not only this, but I am going to perform this with my drama group!