A Book I Recommend: Miss Thompson

cover mandelaNelson Mandela, Long Walk To Freedom

The first time I sat down to read this book, I already thought I knew Nelson Mandela’s story… I mean who doesn’t? He was one of the most controversial figures of the 20th Century for a long time. Was he a freedom fighter or a terrorist? Lots of people were divided. He was the figurehead of the anti-Apartheid movement and united those against that regime from his cell on Robben Island until his release in 1990.

The book was published in 1995, the year after Mandela, in a story almost fit for a fairytale, became president of South Africa in the first full and free elections ever seen in that country.

Like I said, I thought I already knew his story … but I was wrong. It is a book that not only fills in the massive parts of that amazing man’s life that I didn’t know, but also page-by-page surprised me in how he could look at the world with so much forgiveness and grace in spite of everything he had faced.

So if you’re wanting a book that will humble and inspire (and keep you busy…it’s got 630 pages!), you could do a lot worse than picking this up!

About

English Teacher; Shakespeare Geek; Science Fiction Nerd; Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL); Scrabble Warrior; Television Refusenik. Above all, READER ...

Tagged with: ,
2 comments on “A Book I Recommend: Miss Thompson
  1. Oliver Atkinson says:

it sounds like a very good bookso i will make sure to read it as quick as possible.