Ulverston Book Club

book_clubLast night saw the first meeting of a new Book Club in Ulverston.

From 7-9pm a small (but sure to grow) group of book-lovers swapped recommendations, talked excitedly about their favourites, and laid down some basic rules for how the club will function over the next few months.  We’ll be meeting roughly monthly.  Our July meeting will discuss Margaret Atwood’s wonderful dystopian vision, The Handmaid’s Tale.

One of the interesting things I found out last night is that libraries offer a service for book-clubs where they will lend up to a dozen copies of a text to a club.  There’s a list of about 600 titles available, which is what we’ll be choosing our programme from for the next few months.  I’m constantly surprised by the services are libraries offer: we can never support them enough.

So, why am I posting this?  Two reasons:

Firstly, parents and/or sixth formers might be interested in joining.

Secondly, a couple of Year 12 students have expressed an interest in having a book club at school, which is something I’m very happy to facilitate.

In either case, contact me for more information!

About

English Teacher; Shakespeare Geek; Science Fiction Nerd; Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL); Scrabble Warrior; Television Refusenik. Above all, READER ...

Tagged with:
2 comments on “Ulverston Book Club
  1. Lisa Hulme says:

Hi there, is this book club still active? What day of the week are your meetings? How can I join?

• aguerrero says:

Hi Lisa, and apologies for the belated reply.

The Ulverston book club died a largely unmourned death earlier this year, sadly. For a while I toyed with the idea of starting a new one, but to be honest, couldn’t commit to attending every meeting.

How interested are you in getting one going after everyone returns for the summer?