I have just been informed by Coniston Embroidery that they are having to increase their prices by between 3% and 3.5% with effect from next Monday. Therefore it may be an idea for Wind Band members to get orders in in the next couple of days.
All members of the Wind Band MUST have an ‘Polo (Italy 2019)’ shirt irrespective of whether they are going on tour – this is the shirt that has been worn by the band since last summer, so everyone should have one. However, those students going on tour may wish to have a second shirt in order to reduce the unique distinct odour that comes from sweating out a concert and then travelling back to the hotel in the same shirt on 4 consecutive days!!
If at all possible we do like band members also to have a ‘Supporter’s Polo Shirt’, which is the dark blue shirt that also has names or nicknames embroided on the back – these are to be worn (by those that have them) on the outward journey. Those students who went on the Swing Band Tour last year should already have one.
Finally – all Year 11, 12 & 13 are welcome to purchase a Sixth Form Music Hoodie – these are fully logo-ed and also have names/nicknames on the front.
Andrea Vicari – the professor of jazz studies at Trinity Laban who came with NYJO to do the jazz workshop with Swing Band in autumn – has just sent details of the “Women in Jazz Day” that they are holding on Wed 3rd July in London. Any female Swing Band players who wish to go should follow the link below and apply as soon as possible as it will fill up very fast.
Any students who are successful please let me know so I can make sure that they can travel as a group (this is not a school trip).
A reminder to ALL parents of students going to Italy in 11 weeks that the balance of payments is due by next Friday (there are still some who have only paid the £50 deposit!). If anyone is unsure about what they still owe they can ask Mr Butler for an up to date account of payments.
Also … please could the information sheets given out before Easter (detailing emergency contacts, medical details, dietary requirements, passport info etc.) be returned to the Music Office as soon as possible?
Finally … please make sure that all students have a valid EHIC Card (irrespective of Brexit!). Dates of the information meeting and additional rehearsals will be issued in a few weeks, and as soon as all the concert venues are confirmed I will publish them as I know that several groups of parents are coming out to support us.
If anyone is unsure about what they still owe they can ask Mr Butler for an up to date account of payments.
A reminder to all members of the Swing Band that we have a concert at Lower Holker Village Hall (in Cark) this Saturday. All players need to arrive at 7pm to get set up for a 7.30pm start. Finish by 9.30pm.
Rehearsal on Friday until 4.45pm as normal.
Monday – WIND BAND 3.30pm-5.15pm. All Wind Band rehearsals will now be until 5.15pm unless otherwise stated. All students going on the Italy Tour need to attend all rehearsals (or give notice of absence) – we go 12 weeks on Thursday! Additional rehearsals will be arranged as required after GCSE and A Level exams.
Wednesday – some of the Year 13 Final recitals 6pm-7.45pm in the Main Hall. All are welcome to attend (students performing are Tabi, Heather, Catherine, Emma and Jacob).
Thursday – SWING BAND 3.30pm-4.45pm. this rehearsal is because we are off on Good Friday. Next concert is Holker on Sat 27th April. All players are to attend except for those sixth-formers who are teaching primary students.
Please make a note of all the gigs for Swing Band and Jazz Combo for next term.
- Congratulations to everyone involved in last week’s production of ‘Hairspray’. I must say that it is probably the most enjoyable musical I have ever had the fortune to musically direct at The Vic. All the students were absolutely amazing – both myself and Mr Vogler are so proud of everyone involved.
- Wind Band Tour – every student should have brought home the Health & Safety form that must be filled in and returned before the end of April.
- Wind Band Tour – a reminder that ALL balances must be fully paid by 1st May. If you are unsure about how much you still owe just ask Mr Butler who has the up-to-date accounts.
- Swing Band – unfortunately we will have to cancel this Friday’s rehearsal (due to staff exhaustion!). There is concert on Saturday 27th April at Holker (7.30pm) so, due to bank holidays, there will be rehearsals on Thursday 18th (excluding yr12/13s who are teaching) and the usual Friday 26th April. This is to make sure that some of the newer pieces re ready.
- A Level Recitals – due to numbers and feasibility we are having to squeeze quite a few recitals into afternoons, but there will be a public session on Wednesday 17th April from 6pm – 7.45pm in the Main Hall for 5 or 6 students. Everyone is welcome to attend to support our senior students.
- This year’s Summer Concert will be on Monday 8th July and will include the following groups:
Entrance Music: Senior Flute Choir
First Half: Junior Band & Swing Band
Second Half: String Orchestra & Wind Band
A reminder that Wind Band is on after school today and will finish at 5.15pm. Everyone going to Italy must attend as we are giving out all the ‘personal details ‘ and passport paperwork for parents to fill in.
Over the last 2 days, the massed band of the Royal Marines has performed 3 absolutely amazing concerts at the Royal Albert Hall – the Scotland Band was part of it (and 3 of our former students), and those of you who played with them 2 weeks ago will recognise many faces.
If you are interested in a career with them (or just enjoyed our concert) watch this!!!!!!!! It is the livestream they put online last night – it really is a stunning spectacular:
CONGRATULATIONS – to the whole cast, crew and band for a great run-through today. All the hours of rehearsals are now coming together.
Here’s to a fantastic show week.
Tickets are nearly sold out for Friday, but there are still quite a few going for Saturday, so please continue to promote it.