1.The GeoFact sheet in the Unit 3 master document is well worth a read for background information.
2. Good article about how Iceland and China are becoming economically and politically closer: Energy, fish and transport.
Unit 3 energy and superpowers
3. A very useful read from Economist on the geopolitics of the Middle East. Saudi Arabia as the regional power and the need to move away from dependency on oil.
4. BBC documentary outlining how Islamic State has risen to be a formidable non state actor in the Middle East. Very useful for providing a background to conflict in the Middle East for the Superpower topic and the role of oil in funding the regime.
5. India is an emerging power. This article outlines what The Economist believes India will need to do over the next 10 years to cement its rise.
27th May links
6. Good outline of the recent modest rise in oil prices, useful for energy and superpowers.
7. Nato chief says Russian nuclear threats are ‘deeply troubling and dangerous’
8. Interesting piece on the need to end fossil fuel subsidies
9. Vladamir Putin has accused the US of pushing for a Uni polar world.
10. A very interesting set of graphs outlining the impact of conflicts in the Middle East on oil prices over time. Links to the original article.
12. Article on the global growth of solar power. Outpacing nuclear….
13, A convincing (although unbalanced) set of points as to why the USA remains the only real Superpower.
14. How many countries in Africa are leap frogging fossil fuels and building up their renewable energy infrastructure.
15. The rise of ISIS in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Interesting example of the spread of a non state actor to another region.
16. From the Financial Times – A planning decision on Monday could result in the first significant fracking site in the UK, just outside Blackpool: