- Useful map for year 13, superpowers, outlining Sunni and Shia populations across the Middle East.
2. One for year 13 – the US is increasing LNG exports
3. Good resource for year 12 on the global and mega cities topic: the impact of severe air pollution found in many cities on people’s health.
There is a very good discussion around 34 minutes in on the possible impacts on world politics of the continuing decline of world oil prices. Very useful listening for both energy and superpower topics!
Weekly links are late due to the flooding and power outage in Lancaster.
- Storm Desmond. Need I say more….
2. One for year 13 – energy being used as a weapon against Crimea peninsula.
3. Mt Etna had erupted for the first time in two year
4. UK employment in numbers courtesy of ESRC.
The Paris based world climate talks begin on Monday; make sure you keep up to date on what is being discussed.
This article should help and provides a very good outline of the issue of energy use and global climate impacts. Read it!
Read this article from The guardian on the UK’s new energy policy. Note the reliance on subsidised nuclear and the move away from government backing of renewables.
Can ISIS draw Russia and the west together against a common foe?
Let’s see how many of you can discuss these points next Tuesday….
1. Russia’s use of cruise missiles to target ISIS in Syria is a show of force to the West.
2. What costs £54 billion and rising? The cost of cleaning up Sellafield. This short channel 4 news report outlines the issues.
3. Informative video outlining China’s increasing interest in claiming territory in South China Sea. Foreign power projection
- Scots have 421 words for snow
2. Shell have given up on drilling oil in the Arctic… for now
3. Is this new tarmac the solution to flooding in urban areas?
First, the recommendation by a group of MPs who make up Parliament’s Environment Audit Committee that fracking is banned in the UK as it could have negative consequences for the UK’s climate change targets.
Second, Barack Obama wants to designate a significant amount of Alaska as a wilderness area. If approved this could make future fossil fuel exploration very unlikely.
Useful for cold environment AND the energy topic.
This article addresses both energy and geo-political concerns and suggests that the USA should rethink it’s close relationship with Saudi Arabia.
Also An updated map of IS and air strikes against them:
Think of the synoptic links between energy access, control and wider geo poltical tensions around the world.