1. Russia’s use of cruise missiles to target ISIS in Syria is a show of force to the West.
2. What costs £54 billion and rising? The cost of cleaning up Sellafield. This short channel 4 news report outlines the issues.
3. Informative video outlining China’s increasing interest in claiming territory in South China Sea. Foreign power projection
- Use: World Bank; Economist country profiles; BBC country profiles; Gapminder statistics for starters.
- Why and how has China risen to the fore as a dominant world power over the last 40 years.
- Provide background on Deng Xiaoping’s reforms following Mao, present growth (remember to use our superpower criteria as your guide), and the recent progress achieved under Xi Jinping.
This recent Economist article is a very useful guide to Xi Jinping.
FINISH FOR WEDNESDAY’S LESSON