- A novel way to clean up plastics in the ocean. Video.
2. Year 12- a very good blog post outlining the strengths of the Lake District’s appeal for tourists. Lots of great pics, good for rebranding topic
3. A major energy industry lobby firm switches to support inclusion of renewables as a major part of UK energy policy.
4. Innovative use of reservoirs to generate power in UK
- the USS Theodore Roosevelt – an excellent example of projecting power US style (video)
2. A really useful video for year 13 showing melting permafrost in action.
3. If you get the chance I thoroughly recommend watching Chasing Ice, documentary following a team capturing the impact of climate change on glaciers and ice sheets.
1. One for year 12 – is inequality inevitable?
2. Japan are building huge solar farms on reservoirs. Innovative or a step too far?
3. The World Health Organisation have declared the Zika virus threat a global emergency.
4. Iridescent cloud seen over Carnforth on Monday:
1. Useful for year 12 – Channel 4 news report, could this be the end of Schengen?
2. 2015 shattered global temperature records due to global warming and El Nino.
3. Pay farmers to reduce flood risk? The government is looking into it
4. Impressive debris flow video on Aconcagua
5. Cumbria from space.
- Useful map for year 13, superpowers, outlining Sunni and Shia populations across the Middle East.
2. One for year 13 – the US is increasing LNG exports
3. Good resource for year 12 on the global and mega cities topic: the impact of severe air pollution found in many cities on people’s health.
1.North Korea claims to have detonated an H bomb, but some are skeptical
2. The horrifying reality of siege warfare in the 21st century – Syria
3. Remember you have access to Foreign Affairs magazine. Lots of relevant articles this month on globalisation. Contact me of you cannot access and article.
Happy New Year! Kicking off 2016 with a brief snapshot of some of the stories that cropped up in the holiday period.
1. No one can have missed the flooding that occurred across the UK over the Christmas period. This is a very useful collection of many of the key events and issues surrounding the flooding.
2. Greenland’s glaciers are losing a lot of ice, and its only going to get worse…
3. MP’s have given the go ahead for fracking under National Parks.
4. Antarctica from space
1. A deal has been reached at the Paris climate conference. This is what countries have signed up for.
2. Storm Desmond brought landslides as well as floods.
3. Are we getting closer to nuclear fusion as a limitless supply of future energy?
Weekly links are late due to the flooding and power outage in Lancaster.
- Storm Desmond. Need I say more….
2. One for year 13 – energy being used as a weapon against Crimea peninsula.
3. Mt Etna had erupted for the first time in two year
4. UK employment in numbers courtesy of ESRC.
1. A picture paints a thousand words. Global air traffic:
2. Are Putin and Obama about to put their differences behind them in a global campaign against ISIS?
3. This is Scotland, not the Alps:
Find out more about Ian Cameron’s snow patch work here