10 women who changed Science Fiction

Ursula K Le Guin is -almost - as cool as Margaret Atwood ...

Ursula K Le Guin is -almost – as cool as Margaret Atwood …

It’s no secret that I am an avid Science Fiction reader, or that I really admire Margaret Atwood.  But she’s not by any means the only important woman writing in the field – SF is as much for, and by, girls as it is boys.

The BBC has produced a list of 10 highly influential woman SF writers, which you can access by clicking here.

It’s linked to an audio documentary about the ground-breaking Feminist Utopia, Herland (1925), written by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.  Gilman also, by the way, wrote one of the creepiest short stories I have ever read, The Yellow Wallpaper (1892).  You can read an electronic copy of that story in a variety of formats for FREE by clicking here.

And other writers on the list?  I know that Ursula K Le Guin dislikes her work being labelled as Science Fiction, but if you are interested in the genre, gender studies, or in Feminism, I highly recommend The Left Hand of Darkness (1969).  The novel is – only in part – a moving love story set on a planet whose inhabitants can change their gender at will.

About

English Teacher; Shakespeare Geek; Science Fiction Nerd; Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL); Scrabble Warrior; Television Refusenik. Above all, READER ...

Posted in A Level Language, A Level Literature Tagged with: , , , , ,