Literary Anniversaries: 24 September

“Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

“Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

I feel a bit of a fraud writing today’s anniversary post for F Scott Fitzgerald, born today in 1896.

That’s because Mr. Martin (Head of English!) has an almost legendary love for the novel The Great Gatsby (1925), whilst to my shame I have only heard it as an audio book, not read it.  I wonder, does that make a difference?

Personally, I found it interesting, and despite not really empathising with the characters, moving at the end.  It’s beautifully written and evocative of a time and place in a way that few novels are.  It also examines ‘the American Dream’ in a way which I’ve not really found outside of John Steinbeck‘s Of Mice and Men.  I’ve found a quotation to include on the post which I liked – go and ask Mr. Martin what HIS favourite one is …

In other news, Year 7 students might be interested to know that Ian Serraillier was born today in 1912.  You may have read some of his books at primary school, like I did.  Some of you will be studying his novel, The Silver Sword (1956) later in the school year.  In the meantime, you can have a look at Evie McMullan’s wonderful storyboard for an idea of how the novel opens.

About

English Teacher; Shakespeare Geek; Science Fiction Nerd; Adult Fan Of Lego (AFOL); Scrabble Warrior; Television Refusenik. Above all, READER ...

Posted in A Level Literature, Enrichment, KS3, KS5, Literary Anniversaries, September Tagged with: , , ,